Important 9-1-1 Reminder
Just as it is important to know when to dial
9-1-1, it is also important to know when not to call 9-1-1.
Never use 9-1-1 to request:
- Non-Emergency phone numbers for law
enforcement, utility companies, or other services that can be
obtained by dialing directory assistance.
- Information of weather or road conditions
- To report non-emergency criminal activity
such as littering, loud music or other activity that does not
involve the immediate risk of injury to a person or damage to
- Non-emergency services that do not
require the immediate response of emergency personnel
- To report power outages, which do not
create a risk of injury or death.
When people abuse 9-1-1 with requests for
non-emergency services, services and emergency personnel might
be delayed in responding to someone who does need emergency
assistance. Don't put lives in danger. Know when to
"Make the Right Call."